Harness Use and Inspection
This category includes:
- Harness Use and Inspection
To instruct a candidate to safely select and conduct inspections of MEWP harnesses and associated personal protective equipment.
Minimum of half a day.
Up to 10 candidates.
At the end of the course the candidate will:
- Understand the relevant health and safety regulations, guidance and standards.
- Be able to identify and select the correct form of Personnel Protection Equipment (PPE) against falls from height when working from a MEWP.
- Understand how to check, use, maintain and store a harness and lanyard.
- Be able to fit and adjust a harness and lanyard.
- Be able to conduct a periodic examination on a MEWP harness and its associated equipment.
The course is a full theory session lasting half a day.
- An Introduction - Facilities, objectives, health and fitness statement.
- Legislation, standards and guidance including how often should you inspect your harness.
- Hierarchy of fall protection measures
- MEWPs & Harness Systems
- Harness, lanyard and fittings
- Inspections vs. Examinations
- Fitting and Adjustment - Incorrect Fitting, Correct Fitting
- Usage and anchor points - Typical anchorage points.
- Storage and maintenance
- Hazards and precautions
- Rescue requirements and options
- Course assessment
- Individual written tests with explanation of pass requirements.
* Failure means applicant will have to re-sit the course on another day.
Harness certificates are valid for 5 years
A certificate and not a PAL Card will be issued for candidates who do not have an IPAF Operator/Demonstrator or Instructor licence.