- Scissor Lifts
- Self Propelled Booms
- Tracked Boom Lifts
- Truck Mounted Platforms
- Van Mounted Platforms
IPAF MEWP Operator training is for anyone working at height using MEWPs. It teaches how to manage risk and stay safe while also making sure you work to the Work at Height Regulations 2005. It is ideal for operators and also essential for those wishing to take other courses such as the IPAF Demonstrator and IPAF Load and Unload.
The course covers the following categories detailed below and can be booked as a combination or on their own.
- 1b Static Boom: Vehicle-mounted platforms, trailers and push-arounds as well as self-propelled booms (outriggers).
- 3a Mobile Vertical: Scissor lifts as well as vertical personnel platforms (mobile).
- 3b Mobile Boom: Self-propelled booms.
Note: This is a practical session. You must pass your IPAF eLearning theory to be able to take this course.
Aims and objectives
The aim of this course is to learn how to safely work at height using a MEWP and also to obtain your IPAF MEWP operator licence (PAL Card). Once you have passed both the theory and practical, you will:
- Understand the relevant health and safety regulations.
- Be aware of accident prevention and control measures.
- Know the requirements for personal protective equipment.
- Understand the importance of the machine operating manual.
- Be able to drive and then manoeuvre MEWPs safely into position to work.
With the e-learning you can choose a morning course commencing 08:00 AM to 12:00PM or an afternoon course commencing 12:30PM to 16:30PM. (AM or PM choice is dependent upon availability)
IPAF MEWP Operator training includes both theory and practical elements. Therefore, you must complete your theory online first via IPAF’s eLearning program. It will take around three hours ( depending on experience) and you complete it in your own time. You can stop and restart as you need. See here for details or to register.
The practical session is available at our training centres in Newcastle and Huntingdon. It covers:
- An introduction to MEWPs as well as their components.
- Pre-use checks as well as inspections.
- Starting and then stopping the MEWP.
- Road travel and also how to plan your route.
- Driving as well as maneuvering the platform.
- How to set the machine up for work.
- Work applications.
You need to pass your e-learning theory prior to the practical test. The practical assessment is then taken and must be passed to receive your full certification. Therefore, if you fail, you will have to re-sit the course another day and further charges will be applicable.
Alternative Full Day Course
If you would still prefer to attend classroom and practical in a full day please contact us for further details. We can then arrange for this option if required.
You will receive a PAL Card (Powered Access Licence) or if you just require the digital card please advise on booking your course, a safety guide and logbook as well as your certificate. The PAL Card is valid for five years.
This course is eligible for CITB training grants. Find out more.
Click on a date below to start the booking process.
We have received your request and will be in touch shortly.
Your reference ABC123
Thank you for booking with us. A full VAT receipt will be issued upon receipt of payment.