- Scissor Lifts
- Self Propelled Booms
- Tracked Boom Lifts
- Truck Mounted Platforms
- Van Mounted Platforms
IPAF MEWP Operator training is for anyone working at height using MEWPs.
It teaches how to manage risk and stay safe while also making sure you work to the Work at Height Regulations 2005. It is ideal for operators and also essential for those wishing to take other courses such as the IPAF Demonstrator and IPAF Load and Unload.
Note: This is a classroom based theory session at our training centre, followed by the practical session. Due to current Covid restrictions, we recommend that the eLearning module is taken, followed by the practical assessment, which is socially distanced.
The course covers MEWPs within the following categories, with candidates able to choose any combination of the three.
- 1b Static Boom: Vehicle-mounted platforms, trailers/push-arounds and self-propelled booms (outriggers).
- 3a Mobile Vertical: Scissor lifts and vertical personnel platforms (mobile).
- 3b Mobile Boom: Self-propelled booms.
Aims and Objectives
The aim of IPAF’s Operator training is to learn how to safely operate a MEWP in order to obtain an IPAF MEWP operator licence.
On completion of both the theory and practical sessions, you will:
- Understand the relevant health and safety regulations.
- Be aware of accident prevention and control measures.
- Know the requirements for personal protection.
- Understand the importance of the machine operating manual.
- Be able to drive and then manoeuvre the MEWP safely and correctly into position to carry out required tasks.
How long the course takes depends on the number of machine categories you are training in.
IPAF MEWP Operator training includes both theory and practical elements. It is available at our training centres in Newcastle and Huntingdon or, alternatively, onsite at your premises.
The theory session is also available online through IPAF’s eLearning program. This offers the same high standard of training but in a flexible way that allows you to complete it from anywhere in your own time.
The theory session covers:
- Course aims and objectives.
- An introduction to IPAF and the PAL card.
- IPAFs health and fitness statement.
- Regulations and guidance.
- MEWP categories.
- Structural parts of MEWPs.
- Familiarisation and also pre-use inspections.
The practical session covers:
- An introduction to the major components of a MEWP.
- Carrying out pre-use checks and inspections.
- Starting and stopping the MEWP.
- Road travel and how to plan your route.
- Driving and manoeuvring the platform.
- How to set the machine for work as well as basic operational practice.
- Typical work applications of your chosen MEWP.
There is a practical assessment at the end of the course, which you need to pass to receive your certification. If you fail, you will have to resit the course another day.
You will receive a PAL Card (Powered Access Licence), safety guide and logbook as well as your certificate. The PAL Card is valid for five years.
This course is eligible for CITB training grants. Find out more.
Unfortunately there are no dates currently available for this course.
We have received your request and will be in touch shortly.
Your reference ABC123