3a Mobile Vertical
This category covers:
Mobile Vertical (3a): Scissor lifts, vertical personnel platforms (mobile)
To instruct an operator to prepare and safely operate 3A Mobile Vertical MEWPs and to obtain an IPAF MEWP Operator Licence.
Most courses are 1 day (7 hours minimum) but they can be up to 3 days depending on the number of machine types and the candidate’s experience.
Up to 6 candidates.
At the end of the course the Operator will:
- Be aware of the relevant Health and Safety regulations.
- Be aware of accident prevention and control.
- Be aware of the needs regarding personnel protection.
- Be aware of the need to refer to the machine Operating Manual.
- Drive and manoeuvre the MEWP safely to correctly position and carry out the required tasks in a correct and proper manner.
The course is split between a theory session in the morning and a practical session in the afternoon.
- In the classroom - The theory course is available either at one of our Training Centres (or at your site if we are training at your premises) OR
- Online through an IPAF Training Centre - A web link to the online course and guidance is available from our Training Centres.
The morning theory session consists of:
- An Introduction - Facilities, objectives, PAL Card overview, Health and Fitness Statement and pre-theory test.
- Regulations and guidance
- MEWP categories
- Structural parts
- Familiarisation and pre-use inspections
- Theory test
* Failure means the applicant will have to re-sit the course on another day.
The afternoon session consists of the practical training and assessments.
An introduction to the actual machine you are training on (walk around and familiarisation with MEWP)
- Major components
- Pre-use checks and inspection, starting and stopping the machine
- Pre-use function checks
- Checks prior to road travel and planning the route
- Travelling the route and manoeuvring the machine (where applicable)
- Setting the machine for work and basic operational practice
- Typical work applications
- Practical assessment
- Course evaluation and close.
PAL cards are valid for 5 years
Successful candidates will receive a PAL Card (Powered Access Licence), a safety guide, a log book and a certificate.
The PAL Card is recognised worldwide across industries as proof of platform operator training to the highest standard.